Saturday, November 8, 2008

My Knee is Better (aka Boot Camp Day 6)

A good thing, too, because we started the day with a 2 hour beach boot camp. Running on dry sand is still a bit much for me, since I find walking on shifting sand pretty exhausting. But that was the easy part. Over an hour was spent on all types of sand torture: push-ups, crunches, modified lunges, marching, crazy balance in the sand stuff, ab torture... It was great.

I have clarification on why we only learn how to order at a diner (Ronnie's): the owner of the boot camp has a deal with them, which includes them adding an entire healthy food section that he planned and him sending his clients there every week. There are so many rules for ordering: other than the healthy selections section, campers are restricted to about 6 items, all of which must be halved. The only authorized side is a cucumber salad. Thanks to these rules, at a table of 6, you'll find 2 people eating 1/2 a turkey, sprout and avocado sandwich on wheat with no mayo, 2 people eating 1/2 a turkey burger, sprout and onion sandwich on wheat with no mayo, and 2 people eating scrambled egg whites with chicken and whole wheat toast. All with cucumber salad. Good times.

Saturday afternoons, campers that have been around more than 2 weeks do TBA. Whatever that means. It ranges from football to basketball to whatever the trainers feel like, modified so that there's more running. For newcomers and those with sports injuries, it's 2 hours of circuit training, which this week turned into 30 minutes of cardio (I managed to stay on the elliptical trainer the whole time, which I haven't done in 4 years), followed by 90 minutes of strength training. Painful, but I worked muscles in my shoulders that I never knew existed. It may have been the best non-cardio workout I've had since I got here.

No boot camp until noon Sunday, so I'll have some time to work on my grad school applications (finally). NYU keeps writing to me telling me to apply to their Ed School. It wasn't on my list, but if they want me that badly, I may have to reconsider...

1 comment:

T said...

Wow, A - you are kicking ass over there! Very impressive. It makes me tired just reading all the stuff you're doing. The weight is going to melt off, with all that cardio and strength training. And lack of mayonnaise. Is that considered condiment torture?