Monday, November 24, 2008

BC 22: A Day in Hell

Today was very, very hard. One of the hardest days ever. Seriously. I started with a training session with one of the tougher trainers. It was a hard session, but it could have been worse: we spent some of the session trying to stretch out my left calf, which I seem to have injured Saturday. The main focus was biceps and back, with more reps and weight than I usually do (see above: tougher trainer). Plus, he thinks that cardio between sets, i.e., every 3-5 minutes, is a good idea. Exhausting. The middle portion of the day was fine: 90 minutes of cardio (an hour on the elliptical trainer, 30 minutes on the treadmill, burned around 800 calories).

Now for the bad part. First, the Santa Monica stairs. Just as terrible and dizzying to look down as I thought, and just as hard to walk up. The first walk up left me wheezing and terrified to go down again, so I ended up taking a long (stair-free) detour to get to the base each time. This meant that I could only go up the stairs three times (not nearly as good as my performance at the Manhattan Beach Dune Park). But, thanks to the nearly complete absence of landings to take breaks, each ascent seemed 10 times worse.

The day ended with beach boot camp run by a trainer who I'd heard had hard but not impossible boot camps. Well, apparently he's changed. Because he had us running and marching and doing butt-kicks and straight leg kicks and side shuffles and all sorts of super-fun activities in the sand (really no fun at all). Exempted from the sprinting that followed, I was stuck with squats (140), push-ups (120) and dips (70) combined with race walking. I am unbelievably tired. The only bright spot (other than the day being over): tomorrow morning's beach run excepted, the day looks 100% better.

2 comments:

Yipster said...

Your workouts are unbelievably intense! I am thinking of you and wondering how your week has been. Anything special with Thanksgiving and all? On another note, it's great you get to watch movies. Any interest in _Australia_?

Adrienne said...

Just another week at boot camp: I was just too lazy to post. The one thing I still need to do is the non-baby hike, which I imagine may be more intense than the Ethiopian mountain trekking, but has the advantage of being shorter. I've been nervous about it because of the vertigo, but I suppose I should just suck it up.

I may be seeing Australia tonight with some of my fellow campers. It is one of my favorite campers' second to last night here.