Friday, November 21, 2008

2 for 1: Boot Camp Days 18 and 19

So I didn't blog yesterday. I had a good reason: both the start and end of my workout day had some annoying aspects that I wanted to get a little distance from. I'm better now, so here goes.

Thursday started with cardio boot camp, basically a walk or run on the beach. The instructions: everyone walks/runs in one direction for 25 minutes, then turns around and goes back. This clever idea ensures that everyone arrives back at approximately the same time. Well, I was slow yesterday, and everyone decided to turn around 5 minutes early (which I didn't notice in time), so I ended up being dead last (not to mention being deprived of some cardio time). Result: crankiness. Walking on the beach: pretty nice (chilly but beautiful). The day got better: 30 minutes of abs, swimming (without a doubt my favorite boot camp activity), and my first hike. Some people call it the baby hike, which makes me kind of nervous about the grown-up hike, because this one had some fairly challenging inclines. The views from the top of the mountain/large hill were lovely (must remember to take my camera on hikes), but I did have some vertigo issues. The last scheduled activity of the day was evening boot camp in the park. After eating the 5 pm meal, of course. Except when we got back to the office, I discovered that someone had taken my (clearly marked) 5 pm meal, which was specially made for me (I've requested no beef) and therefore wasn't another case of someone being illiterate (I think I've mentioned my least favorite camper before). So, instead of going to boot camp, I got REALLY irritable because I had to go home to eat (eating every 4 hours is mandatory). By the time I was done, I'd missed more than 30 minutes of boot camp, and decided to skip it. I'm feeling a little suspicious of my fellow campers right now: who's trying to sabotage me?

I'm much calmer today, although today was pretty much hell. We started with the Manhattan Beach dune hike. As I mentioned last week, the vertigo makes the dune hike a problem, so I stick with the stairs. This time, I made it up and back 9 times, i.e. 90 flights of stairs. Considering I could get winded on 2 flights of stairs just a month ago, I'm pretty pleased with myself (but I still get winded). Next, we had an abbreviated circuit (all legs and butt for me, since my bottom half needs the most work). During circuit training, one of the trainers told me that it looked like I'd lost a lot of weight/gotten smaller, especially in the waist, which is the same thing that one of my fellow campers said yesterday. (Yay!) I can see it too, and I'm pretty amazed (and thrilled) that I'm visibly smaller in less than three weeks. The afternoon featured 60 minutes of cardio (I continue to rock the elliptical trainer, and am hoping that some time soon I will be able to run as fast on the running paths as I can on the machine) and an hour of partner training (chest and triceps), which was excruciating because I'd just had a massage and my muscles did NOT want to do any more work. Speaking of which, maybe the masseuse is reading my blog because today's massage was definitely more PG-13 than the earlier ones (still some inappropriate touching, but dialed down a notch).

No comments: