Saturday, November 8, 2008

Boot Camp: Day 5

The knee is getting better: no broken bones, no torn muscles. I should be ready to do some (very light) running again by Sunday. In an abundance of caution, I stayed off the knee today, meaning that all 4 (yes, reduced schedule) hours were spent doing upper body work. Upper body cardio: not fun.

And now, a word about the food. Every evening at around 5 or 6, 4 entrees magically appears in my refrigerator in plastic containers with my name and a description of what's inside. Examples: breakfast burritos, turkey meatballs with pasta and broccoli, chicken enchiladas verde and turkey burgers (freshly made). The food isn't terrible (and some of it is rather good), but it's all relatively bland (minimal salt and seasoning). On Saturdays, the boot campers are all taken to a diner, where we are supposed to practice making healthy decisions about dining out. Which I suppose would be really useful if we were all big diner fans. But, considering the program is nearly $4000 a week, I think it's safe to say that people's tastes here may be a little richer.

More after tomorrow's boot camps (and diner excursion), the former of which I've prepared for by purchasing sand socks.

2 comments:

T said...

Damn, yo. That sounds very intense. When you're not exercising like mad, what do you do? Are the instructors cool? Did you find someone to compete against during the workouts? Tsahai

Adrienne said...

What do I do? Sleep, read books on my Kindle, watch TV. Now that I'm not totally exhausted, I'm busy finishing grad school applications.

The instructors: some are cooler than others, but all of them seem pretty nice. The nicest person is the masseuse. Well, one of them. Apparently the other one asked a particularly busty camper if she could have some of hers (and she didn't mean it as a come on).

Decided not to compete against anyone except myself. There are only 4 newbies right now: a 20 year old guy who already lost a ton of weight and just wants to get down to 8% body fat, a 60+ woman with a knee injury, and a 40 year old (who would have been my natural competition except that she seems to have been working out some before she got here). But I'm working at it: running when I can, pushing myself on the cardio machines, etc. It is intense, but in a good way.