Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Word on My Fellow Tourists in Southeast Asia

Okay, more than a word. But if I were to pick just one, it would be dim (it would be better if I could pick three: not too bright). Actually, some of them are fine, but a few of them (including the one I was stuck rooming with the first couple of days) just seem a little slow. Like asking if Kosovo is a city slow (maybe she should get points for having heard of it) or using a calculator to figure out what 20% of 10 is slow. Or (and for some reason, this REALLY got to me) asking me the definition of "random." Okay, let me stop whining. The real trouble is that 6 of the people in the group are married couples in their 50s/60s (nice, but kind of wanting to hang out with their spouses or each other), 5 of the people are between the ages of 19-25 (they are less strict about just hanging out with each other, but are very much into being kids), and one of them doesn't really speak English but still wants to engage me in conversation. So, that leaves me with our tour guide and one relatively smart, interesting person who works with special needs kids. It could be worse: none of these people are actually unpleasant or crazy , just possibly not the people I'm going to be feeling nostalgic about a month or two from now. If that's the worst that I can say about them, I think the trip will be fine.

No comments: