Thursday, February 12, 2009

More on the Annoying Kids in Vang Vieng

I was underestimating the number of western tourists. It seems that in the town of Vang Vieng, there are almost no Lao people. Just kids from the US, Europe, Canada, and Australia that have dropped out of society for an indefinite period of time and decided to drink themselves silly with other kids from the US, Europe, Canada and Australia. The scenery is beautiful, but if I wanted to see a bunch of slacker western kids (none of whom are ethnic, by the way), I'm sure there are plenty of dive bars I could visit in the US. I met some people on a bike tour of Laos (grownups who were on vacation), and one of them told me that 2 years ago, none of those kids were there. All I can say is that I wish I'd visited then.

2 comments:

T said...

Good thing you avoided Phuket. It was all Europeans on vacation, I felt like I was in Florida. Ugh! Some people were NOT meant to have cornrows! Nein! Nyet! It does not look good on everyone!

Adrienne said...

Cornrows are bad, but white kids in dreads? It seems like the amount of effort they spend locking their hair has an inverse relationship to the amount of effort they spend on anything else (other than drugs and drinking).