Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My First 24 Hours in Thailand

Thumbs up on the Bangkok airport. It's no Dubai International (my new favorite airport), but nice and clean with plenty of lovely duty free merchandise.

The hotel: a little run down, but clean and well air-conditioned. Plus, good, cheap, relatively spicy food served while relatively talented Thai locals sing karaoke. Good times.

I'm already leaving Bangkok (tear), on an overnight train to Chiang Mai. In the time I was here (there), I got to take a boat tour (Klong tour, according to my itinerary)and visit Wat Po (some excellent structures and statues of golden Buddhas) and the Grand Palace (ditto).

Fellow travelers: not bad, but not particularly well-traveled. (Maybe starting with Ethiopia has its advantages: I seem like a really seasoned traveler.). My roommate has pretty limited English and is on her first trip outside Europe. There's a significant age gap: three couples in their 50s, 6 singles in their 20s, and me. One of my goals for the month: convincing one of the 20somethings who is just wrapping up her 4th year of teaching English in Korea not to go to law school just because she can't figure out what to do with her life.

Finally, it seems that I already miss my fellow travelers from Tanzania (well, some of them, anyway). I dreamt that I was sharing a room with my new Swiss roommate plus all 6 of the other passengers in my safari vehicle. It beats the dreams I had in Zanzibar, in which my fellow travelers from Ethiopia kept getting together for dinner without me. Funny, though, that I only dream about these people once they're no longer there. I refuse to over-think it.

Coming soon: still more about Ethiopia, Kenya and Tanzania.

No comments: