Friday, December 5, 2008

BC Days 32 and 33: Could I Be Any More Tired?

With just a little more than a week to go, I'm a total wreck: enough joint pain (ankles, knees, hips) to make me feel like a woman twice my age, and I'm getting so much sleep that I'm not getting anything else done (except rereading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince).

Focusing on the positive, in the past 2 days I've had three good training sessions, one which was devoted mainly to posture and alignment and said joint pain, two upper body sessions with some very good stretching. I also managed to survive not one but two really hard evening boot camps this week (including the aforementioned butt routine) and did a fair bit of running at a pretty decent speed. Plus, I broke my own record at the pool and finally picked up a little speed. And today, in addition to doing 11 sets of stairs (110 flights), I climbed about 700 feet in an hour on the treadmill. Yay me.

The motivational speaker/owner was back today. I contemplated skipping, but decided that his pep talks are comedy gold and that I should take notes, of which I'll provide a sample:

stupid Q & A;
tries to engage people who are not interested;
doesn't realize that salmon goes with avocado;
conflates thinness and happiness.

Another camper and I talked about him the other day, and agreed that the problem is that he's not that bright. Not that I buy into the motivational speaking thing AT ALL, but to do it right, you have to be as smart or (preferably) smarter than your audience, and (as my fellow camper said) "dumb it down" for your audience. Let's just say that our guy wasn't busy rocking the SAT in high school, and that it's been intellectually downhill for him ever since. (And yes, I'm being especially critical because of the absolutely idiotic things he said about therapy the last time he graced us with his presence.)

Much more interesting is all of the camp gossip. The greedy woman I've mentioned before (the one on perpetual vacation who is afraid that Obama may rob her of her leisure and her 38,000 square foot house) has been feuding with some of the younger campers, going so far as making threats of physical harm that got so bad today that I believe there was a call made to the police. Crazy.

The slow, older, kinda racist camper is history. Thankfully, we have some new lazy girls (I mean REALLY lazy), so I don't have to worry about being the slowest camper around. As it turns out, the slow camper was here on some sort of bogus NIH grant. I still want more details, because it all sounds fishy, and I would hate to think that my tax dollars (and yours) were going to send that woman to boot camp to annoy me.

In travel-related news, all of my stuff has now arrived, and all that's left is to make sure that everything fits me (and into my new backpack), buy some hiking boots, and wait for my passport to be returned. I am so ready to go.

No comments: