Wednesday, January 14, 2009

From Lalibela (December 23, 2008 - Day 4 of my trip)

Maybe it wasn't such a great idea to begin my journey with the hardest part first. But let me bkactrack. The blog is not getting updates in Ethiopia because -- as it turns out -- Ethiopia has the world's worst internet connections PLUS my blackberry doesn't work here. At all.

So fat, what I like most about Ethiopia is the scenery: really stunning, and I hope to post some photos from Zanzibar. Also, the people: gorgeous and very warm. What I like least: the bathrooms. How awful is it to want to see the world but not want to use the world's toilets? One of the few women on the trip (very cool, by the way) has a "pee tube" of which I am excessively covetous. [Note to self: buy pee tube in March, if not available in Nairobi.] With the exception of the cold showers and really questionable toilets, I seem to be managing.

I've found the food a tiny bit of a disappointment. I've had better Ethiopian in Boston, DC and New York, although this may be in part a function of going to some incredibly cheap places here in Ethiopia. And maybe I have no business complaining when I'm getting a two course meal and a couple of beers for under $7 with tax and tip.

One thing that has been a massive disappointment is discovering that boot camp REALLY wasn't worth it. Nothing has prepared me for the oxygen shortage at altitude, and so after turning around 5 minutes into a 5 hour optional hike, I realized there is NO WAY I can climb up to 4300 meters. So, it seems that 6 weeks of boot camp hell does not transform a casual walker into a mountain climber. And I haven't even touched on the vertigo issue. Great combo: first I hyperventillate up the mountain, then I get dizzy and fall off.

To end on a more upbeat note, I really love the kids here, from the tiny ones to the teenagers. One of my fellow tourists (she of the pee tube) and I were invited to an impromptu coffee ceremony the other day by a charming 11th grader who wants to be Lalibela's first journalist, and who is adamant about finishing college before getting married. Talking with her was one of the highlights of my week.

A final note: for such an impoverished country, the education system seems great. Even very small children have a decent grasp of spoken and written English. They are also given quite a bit of instruction in math and science (including physics) from a perrty young age. Also, unsurprisingly, they are all huge fans of Obama (will be posting some photos of the Obama cafes and restaurants soon). Good times.

1 comment:

Legal Nomads said...

Hey lady! Don't worry about bootcamp - most of the people who don't make it up to high altitudes are those that rush, and as a result those who are usually younger and think they're more fit. From experience - just take it slow! Breathe in. Take a step w a foot and as you are stepping breathe out. Stop. Breathe in. Take a step with the other foot as you breathe out. Rinse. Repeat. Sounds annoying but SLOW IS BETTER when you're climbing high, else you get sick faster.

I'm excited to keep up with the updates. Now where are the photos?! :)