Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Erotic Sculpture, et al.

I apologize for my failure to post any photos, but I haven't seen a computer up close since New Zealand. I'm hoping to get online while here in Udaipur. In the meantime, the blackberry will have to do.

My companions are still killing me, but it's only 2 1/2 more days now. There'd been some discussion of my new friend Nick sneaking into the room of the annoying Danish woman Bettina and shaving off her 3-foot long mane, but so far it's come to nothing, despite the fact that her roommate (the funny American) offered to pay Nick's way on the upcoming south India trip if he did it. Oh well.

So, Khajuraho. It reminded me a tiny bit of Angkor Wat, but likely just because that was my first experience with Hindu temples. The ones in Khajuraho are around 1000 years old and incredibly beautiful. The outsides are covered in sculpture, some of it G-rated (e.g. Ganesha), others a bit more blue. For instance, there are several Kama Sutra poses, one with the couple flanked by 2 shame-faced individuals masturbating (apparently, these pictures were meant to be instructional). Another don't illustrated: sex with horses (although the artist was at least honest enough to admit onlookers' interest in watching that sort of thing, depicted by a woman peeking through her fingers at the scene). Strangely, male sexual relations with elephants' ears was also worth a few feet on one of the temples. I'm assuming that's another don't, although I missed the explanation. Of course, elephants watching copulating couples is A-OK, so maybe there's some grey area when it comes to elephants...

1 comment:

T said...

Ha!

One morning, when I was in Phuket, I decided to go eat where all the "locals" were eating. So I had laab in the middle of a dirt field, with tons of families. The kitchen was makeshift and contained by a series of tarps, and thai videos played loudly on a big tv set up by the entrance of the tent kitchen. Families hung out and had food together. Flies were everywhere, which drove me crazy, but I decided to stick it out. As I drank my water, I realized that there were a series of drawings on the glass, one for each zodiacal sign. The drawings were of a man and woman in a different sexual position for each sign. Not what I expected, and gross. Then, my food came, and I couldn't identify some of the ingredients (some of which I thought may be meat, but had tentacles, it was unlike anything I'd ever seen) and I finally bailed.

Your post reminded me of that.